Look Back: Aggie Station

Students were all aboard the train from the early days of the State Agricultural College of Colorado, which evolved into Colorado State University. For decades, they used a campus depot known as Aggie Station for arrivals and departures. The depot, pictured in Fall 1922, stood at Old Main Drive and South Mason Street, immediately west of the college Main Building (later known as Old Main). In 1877 – two years before the school opened to students – the Colorado Central Railroad paid $100 for right of way through campus. That gave students and regional residents a direct rail option from Denver to Cheyenne; the train became a main mode of transportation to campus and dramatically propelled regional growth. Passenger service waned in the mid-1900s. But freight trains still run along Mason Street through campus and downtown Fort Collins, a notorious part of local life. Just ask anyone late to work, a meeting, or class. Photo: Colorado State University Libraries, Archives & Special Collections